Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Monster & Me

Today's run called for the monster of Pfitzinger's tempo runs in this round of training.  12 miles with 7 @15K/HMP.  This is the longest of my tempos and something I need to prepare for more on the mental side than anything.  Not always being an ace at pacing, I've got to keep myself relaxed but focused, calm but competitive, aggressive but level minded.  Needless to say, running this sucker in the evening after work gave me all damn day to think about it, get my anxiety going and start freakin' about potential compromised weather.  

Turns out I had nothing to worry about.

Weather was supreme: sun was going down & we had a really nice breeze (perhaps compliments of Fay down in Florida?), my tummy was doing good and the deadness in my legs was worked out in yesterday's recovery run.

Warmed up with two miles:
  • 8:09
  • 8:12
Then got crackin' at those tempo miles (goal was 7:52-7:55)
  • 7:32 (not quite dialed in yet)
  • 7:54
  • 8:03
  • 7:59
  • 7:52
  • 7:53
  • 7:31 (wanted to finish strong but overcompensated, was running into a wall of wind!)
Some sleazy cool down miles
  • 9:40
  • 9:45
  • 9:47
Man, was I spent!   The workout was right on but after feeling dizzy and a little disoriented I reviewed what I'd eaten today.   Not enough!   And I failed to bring $$ with me to buy a Gatorade along the way or on the way home.  Nutz.   Got home, iced my hammy, drank some Endurox followed immediately by some vitamin packs and a very salty cheese quesadilla.  

Better now - night night!

5 comments:

sneakersister said...

Nice job Maria! You are doing great!!

Jen said...

I do the same thing too Maria! It helped me to do mine in the morning because I would obsess over it all day and have mild panic attacks;)! I know it's hard with a longer one to do it early. Sounds like a great workout--I'm so excited to hear about your marathon!

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

That is awesome Maria! 7 miles at that pace is great. I don't think I could have gone further than the 5 I did this a.m. You are gonna rock Chicago!

Theia said...

Mmmm... Endurox! It's my miracle drug!

Sarah said...

Nice work!! You should be so happy with how your training is going....you are rocking those LT runs!!