Thursday, August 7, 2008

(Coldplay - Time) + (Bear Naked - Temp) = Just what I needed

Tonight's run was really a filler. I'd switched around the schedule a bit this week to get in that tempo run and while I did have a 14 miler on tap that didn't seem like the best idea looking ahead to Saturday's long run. This LR is more key than others, I want to hit it right on the head, I need to hit it right on the head. 15 miles with 12 at marathon pace. More about that later.

Decided to just run whatever felt right. I left my watch at home, put the iPod on to Coldplay's Viva la Vida album and headed for the park. The temperature had dropped a bit, the sun was on its way out of our Eastern skies and my belly was pleasantly full/not full from a late lunch of Bear Naked's Fruit & Nut granola. It was perfect.

Not too much - not too little - just right.

Arriving up at the reservoir in Central Park, I took a couple laps around - surging when it felt right and backing off when I wanted. I do love the sound of my feet hitting the cinder path, it's so consistent, so rhythmic. And the music fit right in, faster at times and slower at others.

Ended up with about 7.25 miles in ??? time - probably a bit more than an hour but I didn't really notice the time when I left.

Next time you need a pick me up, listen to the beginning of Lovers in Japan ...it's just right.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Coldplay and Central Park? You're leading my ulterior life! I shake my fist at you in rage, lol! I'm so jealous--sounds like a great run. Love that!

KP said...

do you have a place you can stash a regular watch/timex with a stopwatch? I've started on recovery days leaving the garmin at home - put my timex in the car in the driveway, hit start and go, hit stop when I come back. That way can still have at least a time for the running-number-geek in me.

Maria said...

I can ask the doorman the time or there are a couple clocks I pass within a few blocks of the apartment. However, sometimes I just don't want to know -- gives the detail freak in me a night off ;)