Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hump Day Recap

Whoa, what a wickedly humid day out. Seems last night's showers brought a friggin' blanket of solid, sticky air. Glad today is a recovery run and not much else.

Thus far this week I've run...

Monday - 6 miles recovery (from the weekend's 20 miler). Got them in Monday evening along the bridle path in CP and around the reservoir. One of my most favorite routes. Pace was nice and relaxed, somewhere around 9:30s

Tuesday - I flipped around the schedule a bit. Pfitzinger called for 14 miles but I missed a key workout last Thursday due to J's b-day dinner outing. So I ran that last night in lieu of the 14 and will see about getting Tuesday's intended workout done on Thursday as a double (likely 10/4 or 9/5). Back to Tuesday:
  • 2 miles warm-up - 8:47, 9:17
  • 6 miles @tempo (15K/HMP) - 8:14, 7:17, 7:45, 7:46, 7:33, 7:43
  • 2 miles cool down - 11:00 (had to walk a cramp out), 9:33
I missed my target pace for every single one of those tempo miles (7:52-7:55) but it was still a solid effort. Obviously my pacing is still awry. Last night's inconsistencies reflected the music I was listening to and the eagerness I had for this particular workout. My route was south along the Hudson down to the World Financial Center and back.

Wednesday - I'd love to get to the pool in addition to getting those 6 recovery miles done but we'll have to see about scoring a lane first.

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Those are some fast middle tempo miles! Have you thought of using the VRP feature on the garmin (do you have one)? I am able to keep my tempo miles very consistent because of it. I don't think I could do it without the VRP (but I think I would have the opposite problem you do - I would run them too slow!)

Maria said...

I totally need to start using the VRP feature, was reading about both you and Jill's experiences with it and thought it sounded just about perfect for me! Will tinker around with my Garmin tonight and get it all set up --- good timing too, I've got a 15 miler this weekend w/12 at MP.

Pacing is one of my biggest challenges, that first mile on a tempo run is either way too fast or way too slow and the subsequent mile attempts to correct whatever that over/under was. Argh.