Monday, March 23, 2009

No case of the Mondays here

I finally friggin' did it. Probably the first time in over a year or so. Scooped my bottom outta bed and got a morning run in prior to work. 6 miles nice and easy as a recovery to yesterday's 15K debacle. It really is like a breath of fresh air once you're outside and seeing the sun come up over the city. I'll follow up with a couple more miles this evening around spin class and plan for at least one more a.m. run this week.

Along with enjoying some juicy tunes by Hellogoodbye, Mika, Mew and Spacehog I took some time to reflect on yesterday's race. Now I knew I wasn't race ready and I knew I wouldn't be running for a new PR but I was still disappointed. It was short-lived but still something I needed to address and then move past. I have some issues with just running a race and some more with immediately assuming I won't be ready for my next race. This morning gave me a little perspective and helped me form a focus for the remaining time prior to STL. I will work as hard as I can and if it doesn't all turn out my way, I'll continue to work until it does. And then I'll work some more because that's what it is all about ...running for life.

4 comments:

sneakersister said...

Morning running is the best way to wake up!!! Hurray for you! We may just be able to convert you yet.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Excellent! Doesn't it feel good to have 6 miles out of the way so early in the day?!

Running a race to run it, and not race it, is a whole different deal. It requires a different mindset. (And even then, I know that in the back of my mind I'm still thinking - maybe I'll have a fabulous day and get a PR even though I'm not really racing this one!)

sneakersister said...

I agree with Cindi. It is really hard to run a race with the intention of not PR-ing. Last Fall when I ran PDR I did not intend to PR, and I didn't. But it was still really hard to deal with not getting a PR afterward. And this HM I'm running in May, I'm not planning on getting a PR and I can guarantee I will be a little down because of that but I guess you just need to keep the bigger picture in your mind.

Sparky said...

Congrats!! Just knew you'd do it!
I'm struggling to these days, all my runs have to be the "fastest Xmiles I've ever done" I have no idea what's wrong with me. I just can't slooow down.

And nothing beats that running clarity for problem solving. Love that.

I'm pulling for you in STL!

jc