Monday, March 9, 2009

41 days

That's the remainder of time I have to figure out what'll go down at the STL HM. This past week was good for me in terms of motivation and drive. I ran when I felt like it at a speed that seemed appropriate on the days I ran and I ended up satisfied and happy. And thanks to Mother Nature showing her spring side for a few days, I spent two of those runs in shorts - wheeee!!! I also tinkered with my nutrition and lost a few of those nagging lbs. hanging around since late last year. Unfortunately the pool was a bust last week - too much unscheduled downtime and it'll continue to be out of service for the coming week for scheduled maintenance. Here's hoping they figure out the nasty chemical experiment that is the water.

In the meantime I've been reading Brad Hudson's Run Faster and like the idea of training responsively. At this point I feel there are too many unknowns as to where my work should be focused. Responding to what works, what doesn't, what paces feel right and what don't is the route I'll take at this time. And thus I'll be borrowing workouts from his book, from the adapted Pfitz plan I was using and continue with my cross training to form a united "plan not plan".

Last week I got 4 runs in for 28.5 miles, this week I'll continue to take it day by day. Up for this evening is another installment of Duathlon Monday with 8 x 10 sec. hill sprints intermixed with my running miles.

5 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I love your plan not plan! It sounds like it will keep you healthy and enjoying life and running, which is what it should be about!

Doctor Err said...

I'm all over that plan. I think its my yoga studio and this idea of yoga practice....not perfect. I'm getting really mellow about my running (not logging it, not stressing the times too much) and I'm loving it and its going well.
I hope you have the same zen juju (you know when you have a mellow approach and it leads to more juju).

Stephen said...

Great jobs last week and the swimming too. Bummer about the pool being closed for a bit.

I am taking things slow, but working on getting consistency back to 3-4 runs a week for now. Been doing pretty good with that, but hovering around the 10-15 miles per week. Wanna get that up to 20-25 in the next month or so with some double-digit long runs.

KP said...

Thought you might find some of Hudson's ideas interesting.

sauconRunner said...

Hey Maria! I miss you, we have to get a girls get together planned!