Monday, September 29, 2008

Just 13 sleeps to go...

...till the big day. I'm feeling strong, staying positive and ready to work hard for 26.2 miles. I've double checked the hotel reservations, confirmed dinner for the night before, reviewed our flight itineraries, settled on a fueling strategy, tested out my race outfit and started breaking in a new pair of shoes. I'm trying to get extra sleep when I can and staying as healthy as possible.

People who know me well understand a few things about my personality: I'm very detail oriented, I love planning and keeping things in order. Running is no different. I'm true to a training plan, I try to stick my paces and specific workouts and I get ample cross training in when possible. However, it wasn't until recently this year that I got more serious about coming up with a race plan and sticking with it. A detailed race plan, one that has me sticking with even splits +/- 10 secs. off goal pace and not allowing myself off the hook if things aren't looking perfectly. Chicago will be the first time I execute a race in this manner. Sure, I still have an A plan and a B plan but the difference between the two is not nearly as large as I would have previously planned.

Another aspect well understood by peeps close to me is my love for the color green. It's my power color, it makes me happy and fills me with energy. I think it's the association with the earth, nature and life that draws all of that energy for me. It should then be of no surprise that my marathon outfit looks as such...




Wheeee!

8 comments:

Jen Jones said...

Maria, I am so excited for you! I like the idea of having a plan a & b but keeping them close--that was my Grandma's plan and it worked out okay, switching to plan b 'cuz of the heat but still working hard to PR no matter what! If you give yourself too much of an out, it's too easy to take it and so many people do that. You haven't trained for MONTHS to go easy, you have trained to race. You are going to nail your race!!!!!!!

You have done the training, so now it's super important to rest-rest-rest. Pfitz is AWESOME but his tapers are kind of hard, take an extra easy day if you feel the need. You aren't going to get any stronger in the next few days, so be sure to stay healthy!

Good Luck!!!!

Jen said...

Holy Moly--I have the same shorts! I'm detail oriented myself so I hear where you're coming from!

solarpowered said...

I think you already know how much I'm pulling for you to have just the day you've planned for on October 12th. You're trained, you're prepared, you're excited. This is the race where the stars align and you get the race you deserve. I wish I could be there to cheer you on -- I'll be anxious to hear the great news when I've finished my race! And I LOVE the power outfit!!!

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I'm excited just reading your post! You are ready, for sure. You have had some seriously kick butt training runs and worked so hard! Can't wait to track you in Chicago and see it all come together for you.

Craver said...

great outfit, better planning.

go get 'em girl.

I'm proud of you already.

justjen

KP said...

So are ya gonna tell us what the plan is? I'm revealing mine on Sunday...one week out.

phdatc said...

Good luck! The planning is in place, the fueling is apropriate, the outfit is green. All is in order. I am excited to cheer you on in Chicago!

Dan said...

After reading this, I think I'm gonna wear green on Oct 12th. I'm pumped for you Maria! Can't wait to read about a solid race!


and a BQ?