Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Land of the Gods

Searching around for a little extra race inspiration? Take a peek here. As the week continues I'm doing everything in my power to stay free of sickness, any more aches & pains and all negative attitudes. I've been doing a daily ...shit, hourly inventory of all current bodily complaints and something isn't quite right with my left leg. I'm thinking it may be the shoes I'm breaking in for the Chicago; they're the same model as I've been wearing but a different color from a different store. Will be picking up a different pair on the way home tonight. Other than that, a pretty low-key week.

Sunday was 12+ miles in 100% humidity. Should have gone a bit longer but I got all crazy dizzy and decided twelve was enough. Not worth it to push it.

Monday was 7 miles with 8 x 100 strides. I really would have preferred an easier feeling run but my legs were probably still a little zapped from Sunday + this mild cold is slowing me down.

Tuesday was supposed to be 8 miles w/1600m repeats however after testing out my speed with some 200m repeats, I wasn't feeling it. And, at this point, will do anything in my power to keep myself injury-free and running without pain. Settled with 8.16 (stupid non-round number) miles close to MP.

I've been taking in lots of extra vitamins, eating well, took yesterday off work to simply rest and got in a real nice eucalyptus steam over my bathroom sink last night. Not only did my chest and cough feel better but my skin was absolutely radiant. ha! Will definitely repeat that tonight.
...but not till after we see & hear some of this guy down at Terminal 5

6 comments:

solarpowered said...

I always seem to feel my worst the week or two leading into a marathon. :( Great idea to take yesterday off and work on feeling 100%! I'd go get the same color shoes as those that have been working for you -- different color probably means different factory, which means slightly different cut. Go with what has worked! You're going to do great next weekend -- rest up, enjoy the concert tonight!

Tom said...

Nice clip. Thanks. I have that on the netflix queue for when it comes out.

I'm still surprised you decided on green for the marathon.

:)

Sarah said...

THANK YOU for posting this!!! I was getting really freaked out because I cut my planned 16 miler short too due to the heat and humidity in DC. Then I see that one of my training buddies did a 20 mile long run with 16 below planned MP....two weeks before the marathon!! I know that's not the best idea, but it still made me think I should have done more. Thanks for assuring me that Pfitz knows what he's doing and won't fail us now :)

Sarah said...

PS. I want to hear more about this Eucalyptus steam....is it something you buy? Bryan just came down with a head cold so I am freaking out that my throat is a little scratchy. I'm taking lots of vitamins and Cold-Eeze but I am definitely curious about the steam. Plus if it makes my skin glow then I'm all for it....at least I will look good while sick :)

Maria said...

Sarah - it's awesome, easy and inexpensive! Just pick up some eucalyptus inhalant (I got mine at a local health food store) and mix a tsp. of it in with hot water coming out of your bathroom sink. Something like this: http://vitanetonline.com/description/NP6451/vitamins/TEA-TREE-EUCALYPTUS-INHALANT-2-OZ/
Once the water is running, put a towel over you head and create a tent over the sink. Sit there (I sat on a bar stool) and relax... 15 mins. is great!

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.