Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Back to the 600s

Ran my last of 600 repeats for this round of training last night. For some reason this workout doesn't fall at inconvenient times like some of the other longer interval workouts have... one I had to miss b/c of it's proximity to the New Haven race and one was missed b/c I wasn't feeling fully recovered from RTB. Nevertheless it's still a good workout so I got it in. 8.1 miles total with 5 x 600 repeats and 90 secs. jogging in between each. Goal pace was 2:37 (7:04 mi). Here's how it all shook out...

3.8 miles warm-up in 32:28 (8:32/mi)

600m: 2:29 (6:39 pace)
600m: 2:24 (6:26 pace)
600m: 2:20 (6:15 pace)
600m: 2:22 (6:20 pace)
600m: 2:21 (6:18 pace)

1.8 miles cool down in 15:09 (8:25/mi)

What I liked most about the run was that I still felt a bit tired from the weekend and my last LR; legs weren't sore but I was still a little zapped. And despite that feeling, I ran this without incident, without feeling fatigued or beat up. Those warm up and cool down miles are within my range of acceptable paces for the marathon too! They felt easy and like my own -- me likey.

Just one more interval workout next week before this all gets wrapped up and it's a biggie. Mile repeats @5KP within a 8 miler.

8 comments:

KP said...

Nice! I gotta admit I'm a bit scared by next weeks mile repeats.

Maria said...

KP - you realize it's going to be worse than a 5K right? UGH!

KP said...

which is why I'm a bit scared of it and not really looking forward to it! Are you planning on doing it at the track? Gonna use the garmin or mark off the extra 9 meters to make it one mile?

Maria said...

KP - I'm going to do it on a track if at all possible. I find I can pace myself better by having the visual of a 1/4 mile and thus keep it more evenly paced. I'll still use my Garmin too.

Theia said...

Great pacing!!!

KP said...

Don't forget the extra 9 meters per mile then!!!!

I'm kidding. Just do 1600m.

Maria said...

why are you trying to make baby Maria cry?!?!?!

Craver said...

Hey girl!
I am getting caught up on your posts - your RTB story was awesome. Congrats on getting that under your belt!

Nice speedworkout here - and nice timing on feeling so close up to your big race.

I'll be pulling for you in Chicago!

Jen