Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Where are the words?


Meredith running her 2nd leg, photo courtesy of Chris

I'm finding it very difficult to summarize my thoughts and feelings about Reach the Beach. It was an amazing & challenging experience and such fun that I'm afraid I won't do it justice by describing it here. Perhaps a massive brain dump is what's really needed ...here we go, hold on tight, this shit isn't organized whatsoever!

Cab ride to Grand Central, Metro North train to Tarrytown, NY, car ride to Danvers, MA, rental van pick-up, van ride up to Hampton Beach, NH, greetings, hugs, growlers, scallops, beers, sleeping in a sandy bed. Rise and shine with the sun, van ride to Franconia, NH.

Lots of cheering, waiting and riding around in the van. Our running order: Meredith, Staci, Maureen, myself, Bill, Tom, Walter, Kate, Brandi, Julia. Repeat.

24.4 miles run over 4 legs, in 3 hrs, 20 mins, 23 secs. (8:12/mi avg pace)

leg 1: started this at 3:04 p.m. on Friday. The entire leg was basically a screaming downhill section through a beautiful state park. It was freezing at the start awaiting Maureen's arrival with our team's bracelet. I knew once I got moving I'd be fine. I didn't even mind the strong headwinds but man oh man, my quads got the beat down but good.

2.9 miles in 19:47 (6:49/mi avg pace)

Lots of cheering, waiting and riding around in the van. Meredith, Staci, Maureen, myself, Bill, Tom, Walter, Kate, Brandi, Julia. Repeat.

leg 2: started this at 11:05 p.m. on Friday. It was very dark out and although the rain had stopped the air was still very moist and quite foggy. Reflective vest, two blinky lights and headlamp in place. I had a blast with the rolling hills throughout with the first section along a two lane highway and the next along a super dark section of country roads. Nothing makes you feel like you might possibly bust ass more than barreling down a big downhill and blowing by a couple other runners. Luckily I experienced no such spillage.

7.8 miles in 1:04:26 (8:15/mi avg pace)

Lots of cheering, waiting and riding around in the van. Meredith, Staci, Maureen, myself, Bill, Tom, Walter, Kate, Brandi, Julia. Repeat.

leg 3: started this at 9:21 a.m. on Saturday. After a solid (ha ha) 2.5 hrs. sleep in the van we're back at it. The sun is out and it warmed up quickly. This leg was again split between a two lane highway and a country road of sorts dipping into another park with more rolling hills and an inordinate amount of frog roadkill. I enjoyed an ice cold soak in a local lake after handing off to Bill.

6.9 miles in 58:51 (8:31/mi avg pace)

Lots of cheering, waiting and riding around in the van. Meredith, Staci, Maureen, myself, Bill, Tom, Walter, Kate, Brandi, Julia. Repeat.

leg 4: started this at 3:44 p.m. on Saturday. My favorite leg!! I had the chance to run through a running buddy's neighborhood. He not only briefed me on the topography of this leg ahead of time but left several encouraging signs posted along the road and some very tasty vittles + a bottle of champagne. Thanks again Dan - you rock! This section featured one big ass hill at 2.5 miles and then nice mini rollers to the finish. The volunteers before this transition area were yelling out the number of steps I had until the finish, that helped!

6.8 miles in 57:10 (8:24/mi avg pace)

Lots of cheering, waiting and riding around in the van. This time around: Staci, myself, Bill, Walter, Kate, Brandi - FINISH!

209.5 miles total. 31 hrs, 8 mins, 1 sec (8:55/mi avg pace)

Again, words cannot describe how much of an impact this experience has left on me. Many of us were strangers but all of us are runners, that is what bridges the gap - always & forever. Just one more thing that is so cool about running. I felt challenged, tired but energized, sick of PB&J but still reaching for another Uncrustable, beat down but ready to give more, extremely happy, proud beyond measure and ready ...to do it again.

Immediately!

Special shout outs to Chris & Glenn ...our van drivers, photographers, support crew and DJs. You both have a special place in my heart - thank you!!!!

And now for a visual sampling of the experience...

5 comments:

Jen said...

Wow what an amazingly beautiful place to run!!! Great pictures too! Glad it was so fun!!

KP said...

Well said M. Well fuckin' said.

Fenian R. Menian said...

What can I say... it's easy to take decent photos when the course and runners are quite so photogenic...

What a great time that was, even for a Former Runner.

I can't wait until next year...

solarpowered said...

I am SUPER jealous! Sounds like you had an unforgettable experience. Awesome!!!

phdatc said...

Love the photo of you in the drink!! :D