Monday, September 8, 2008

Hanna's Humidity

Me no likey.

Saturday was a painful run. I got out early, fully expecting to be tossed around with winds coming from Hanna's landfall and fully expecting to get soaked from the accompanying rainfall. In fact, I was looking forward to it! Imagine my surprise when I did end up soaked but there was zero wind and zero rain involved. Boooooo.

What Hanna dished out for me was a massive wall of humidity... actually not a wall, that would imply there might be a way to run through it and bust out on the other side. This was more like a concentrated room of humidity fitting the exact dimensions of my running route. My schedule called for 17 miles total with 14 @MP. I started out a bit slow while wrapping my mind around the conditions. By mile 1.5 I was on my way to being soaked, sweat clinging on to every inch of me.

To put it simply, I was zapped. No upper body strength. No legs to speak of. My mind tried to rectify the situation as best possible and gut out whatever I could. After an out-and-back along the Hudson I'd planned to hop into the park for a couple laps of the reservoir but I'd have to pass home on the way into the park. I never made it to the park. Managed 12.5 miles with 6 @MP.

As disappointed as I was, I let myself sulk a bit, I ate, I napped and I decided that had it been race day, I would have continued. I could have continued.

1 comment:

Theia said...

That's the only important thing. You know you could have done it. No biggie. Better to have a bad day now than in a month, right?