Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Melancholy

A feeling of thoughtful sadness. That's how I've felt since Sunday's finish line especially since departing Chicago and returning to the real world of life and work and other crap I don't feel like participating in or dealing with.

It's just one of the large number of emotions that currently occupy my mind & body. I'm soooo happy to have crossed the finish line this year in Chicago and hand-in-hand with my sister!!! I'm exhilarated to have my finisher's medal, to have seen Tim and heard about him rocking his first with a sub-4:00 and to have had the chance to enjoy a post-race meal and tasty beverages with good friends & family. It was a memorable day for sure.

And yet I'm sad and feeling empty.

The race I'd trained for, perfected and remained positive about didn't come to pass. Things happen, we can't control everything and there is plenty of uncertainty in this world. None of this provides me any comfort.

I'm also confused and wondering what to do next.

So there it is, I'll ride this wave of stuff and hope to feel more energetic and more together later this week...

4 comments:

Theia said...

I think it's perfectly OK to feel kinda meh after the race you had. What you did for your sister was AMAZING... but it still wasn't what you wanted for yourself that day. Allow yourself to feel blue for a little while. Don't decide right away about your next steps. Eat some cupcakes, watch tv, read, take Spinning and yoga classes, eat too much, drink too much. Be good to yourself. (((Maria)))

And remember we are very, very proud of you.

sage said...

Can I say what Alexis said but before she said it so I can sound all thoughtful and wise, too?

I was worried that something bad happened to you, but when I read that you'd stopped & waited for your sis and the two of you finished it together... well, verklempt is just the German word I need in this situation.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

What Alexis and Sage said.

Plus my two cents: I felt sad after TCM too. I spent the week eating and drinking way too much. And figuring out my next thing. Because I always need a thing. Once I got it figured out, my sadness lifted. Yours will too.

Great pictures!

solarpowered said...

(((Maria))) Back at ya, soul sister.