Thursday, October 30, 2008

Marathon Sunday

It's nearly here and the city is buzzing!!!! Seems everywhere I turn there's someone talking about the marathon, making plans to meet up and watch the marathon, or anxiously awaiting the start of their own marathon run. This morning is when I felt that buzz the most when just before my Q train departed the 57th St. station, a flock of Italian runners came rushing down the stairs. How did I know they were runners? The gear. It always gives them away. Plus they were all tremendously fit and way too excited for 8:30 a.m. on a weekday in a subway station.

I'm most looking forward to tracking the runners I know racing and cheering for them with all I can muster. It won't be easy, at last count I have at least 8 people on that list... Nettie, Dave, Laura, Kyra, Staci, Alissa, Walter & John. With the new wave starts & various corrals plus all the regular craziness of the race, spectating and actually finding these friends will not be a small task. But it will be a fun one!

Also eager to see one of these finisher medals in person. With a likeness of the great Grete Waitz on the front and the inscription "Grete Waitz: the Greatest New York City Marathon Champion" on the back, who wouldn't want to travel 26.2 miles to earn one?

3 comments:

Dan said...

Sounds like a blast!

Jen Jones said...

How fun!!! I'm jealous. Have an AWESOME weekend!

Theia said...

Watching the NY Marathon is WAY more fun than running in it! You'll see! :)