Tuesday, September 8, 2009

East Coast Family

Closed out the Labor Day weekend with an awesome feeling race surrounded by some of the East Coast Running Family regulars and one new addition. But first let's back up to Saturday. After taking Friday completely off and resting my crabby hammies, the rest of the weekend shaped up nicely.

Saturday - ran 10.25 miles in 1:34:42 (9:14/mi) with the newest NYC transplant, Missy!   We met at the pump house in CP and headed west to the Hudson and then north up to Riverbank State Park.   Nice run and even nicer company.

Sunday - 90 mins of yoga with tons of shoulder work. So much that my upper back is still a little achy today. But it's a good ache, one I'll take any day. And the class proved to be as valuable as I knew it would be by delivering non-crampy, non-tired legs for Monday's race.  Jillian at Kula Yoga is my most favorite evah!

Monday - New Haven 20K! Ran a total of about 13.5 miles. Started off with about an easy mile of warm-up with Missy around the square and the immediate New Haven area. It was just what each of us needed. Lined up at the start with Bob, Trevor and Missy and we were off! Not sure when we lost Trevor but Bob, Missy and I stuck together until just after mi 7 when I slowed to take a gel w/some water. I ended up about 20 ft back from Missy & Bob after that, spending the better part of 8 & 9 keeping the distance the same and both of them in sight. Miles were flying by and I felt supa strong. Unfortunately that all ended with mile 10, emergency (I mean EMERGENCY) porta potty stop needed but nothing in sight. Begged a gas station for some sort of rest room access too but no dice. Ended up half running, half walking that entire mile until I found one and lost 2 friggin' minutes off my regular pace. That, my friends, would have secured the time I really wanted from today's race. However, that mile/incident aside, I am completely confident in my training and had a really good, strong race. While the PR I got wasn't what I should have run I'll take it. 11 secs PR

mi 1: 8:19 congestion at the start, easing into it 
mi 2: 8:07
mi 3: 7:46 
mi 4: 7:47 
mi 5: 8:01 
mi 6: 7:59 
mi 7: 7:44 
mi 8: 7:49 
mi 9: 7:58 
mi 10: 9:47  awwww craps, search for a porta potty 
mi 11: 7:54 
mi 12: 7:47 
mi .54: 4:01 

1:40:59 (8:07/mi)

Which proves, once again, that I've yet to run a HM at what I should be running a HM at.  That 1:40:59 would mean a 1:46:31 HM and if I didn't lose those 2 minutes in mile 10, a 1:44:24.  Gotta find me a good half to run in decent weather conditions.

No comments: