Sunday, May 31, 2009

Grand Prix, Green Monsters and Girly Things

Reader beware... long hodge podge post ahead.

Yesterday's Brooklyn HM, part of the 5 HM Grand Prix series - one for each borough, went pretty much as expected.  I had 3 goals in mind:
  • run it as a solid training run with a pace that reflected such
  • have a solid mental run
  • have fun
All in all I'd give myself a B for achieving those 3 goals.  I did end up with a 2:00:13, 9:10/mi pace - good for training.  I did have a mostly strong mental race although acclimating to the summer weather (which isn't even full on summer temps yet) took a bit more out of me than I would have liked.   But I learned from it and I adjusted.    And hot damn I did have fun!  The race is great ...circling around Prospect Park twice I passed all sorts of beautiful scenery, dogs getting their outdoors on, bicyclists, stroller bound babies, etc.  It was fun.  Exiting the park took the race along Ocean Parkway which I knew nothing about although I expected to be a little less protected from the sun.   However race organizers had us running in the lanes to the far left and under a beautiful canopy of mature trees.  Perfect.   Further and further into the race I could feel the breezes pick up... the breezes that let you know the ocean is near.   And then we made those last couple turns to end up on the boardwalk and cruisin' to the finish.  Done and done.

After getting back home, I fixed myself a green monster.   Earlier in the week I'd picked up some gorgeous spinach from our local greenmarket and couldn't wait to give it a go in the smoothie...  awesome recovery fuel




And then after relaxing a bit I decided to get my new ride out and see how she handles.  I headed west to the Hudson River Park/Riverside Park path and then north up to the George Washington Bridge and back.   The bike is great!   It feels comfortable and with a good fit.  The weather was ideal for a ride and I was quickly able to get up to an area along the path that I count among my most favorite in all of the city



Still in Manhattan!  Hard to believe, right?  This section isn't very long but it feels like another world; getting here you take a right turn from where the path had been running north right along the water, probably north of 160-something street if the streets ran this far west.   Near the end of this path you remerge right at the water's edge get a great shot of the very large GWB in the background



After riding partially up the long and tough ascent to the bridge's deck, I turned around and shot back home.   Will be planning to get the girl out again today for a longer ride, perhaps further north over the Henry Hudson Bridge or up into the Cloisters.  

But all that will wait until after I've hit our building's spa day.   Free manicures, pedicures, massages and facials and all I have to do is walk down two flights of stairs.  Wheee!!!!!

4 comments:

KP said...

okay, I may regret this, but what is the recipe for the shake?

Doctor Err said...

YOU LOVED IT DIDN'T YOU???? I'm totally addicted, now. Had one every day since.
Even ran out of my CSA spinach and had to buy some at the grocery.


That is totally my kind of agenda for the day.

It is so so so pretty there.

Monkey mind in a cracker head!e

solarpowered said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend!

And yeah, I want the recipe, too. :D

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I don't want the recipe. ;-) Too healthy for me.

Sounds like a great weekend! Solid training race. That sounds like a fun HM series.