Friday, October 30, 2009

There are no miracles in running

Loving Chris Lear's Running with the Buffaloes and perhaps even more so, love learning about Mark Wetmore's coaching style and interactions with his CC teams. I'm already seeing similarities between Wetmore and my own coach, and it feels really good to work with Lloyd and get some solid plans slated for my running. Because we're starting our work together deep into a training cycle, the strategy will be a bit different from an orthodox training cycle but no less important. And thus the focus for the coming weeks, including the full @OBX will be to log the miles in an even-paced easy effort. Consistency is more important than anything as this point. Coach and I are looking towards the future and making big plans.

And so my daily runs look a lot alike at this point but my attitude and outlook have incurred a serious spike. In energy. In positivity. In drive.

It doesn't hurt that the NYC Marathon is this Sunday and the buzz around town is highly inspiring and motivating! Missy & I are planning to meet up with Kris & Jenn to do some spectating along First Ave before joining Trevor out of Manhattan, into the Bronx and back through Central Park. Oh and tomorrow we'll be meeting up with Trevor & Bob for some expo action followed by carbo-loading - wheee!

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I'm so happy your coach has reinvigorated things!

I'm also really curious about how you are incorporating a full into your training plan, with only a month til CIM. I assume you aren't going to get crazy and run it fast or even do anything overboard like 19-20 miles at MP. What's the plan?

Maria said...

Good question Cindi! Ideally I'd only run 22-23 miles of the marathon, all at an easy and even pace. It's the exercise of doing all the race prep and executing that is more important to me + getting another LR logged. Coach does not want me racing whatsoever and I wholeheartedly agree. So a nice supported LR with some of the other 30s :-)

solarpowered said...

2 things:

In that book, Matt Elmuccio is one of the runners discussed. He works at the running store with me :)

and 2, if you are looking at running the full at OBX as a training run, and maybe only 22-23 miles of it, what pace are you thinking for the running miles?

...curious...

Christine said...

isn't it nice when things start to come together? to fall in place?
the fact that you are running strong and injury free is SO great. its been awesome to see that transform you this summer.

i love that we have the same coach b/c when i read your blogs, i'm literally nodding my head in agreement :) before you know it, we'll be coordinating outfits on our runs! (wear the spandex green/blue b/c my pink/ white is in the wash) LOL.

"first the mind must believe, then the body will follow."

i am really excited for you, maria. i truly believe that huge things are headed your way with re: to your running and i can't wait to be the first to congratulate you!!!!!! keep believin'!!!!