Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Regrouping and reorganizing

I've felt somewhat uncomfortable with my training for St. George for awhile now. It felt too little, too unstructured and a bit too different from what I'm used to while marathon training. When I run I feel good, my hurty parts aren't so hurty and I feel stronger than ever. But I just don't feel I'm running enough and I'm at the point where risking an up in mileage feels like a good step. I'm also feeling like me and the bod have a good thing going and our communication seems to be better than ever so even if an up in mileage is ultimately the wrong decision, I'll listen to my pal and back off accordingly.

I've also been debating about jumping ship on Hudson and getting back to my bud Pfitz. Thing is I really dig Hudson's plan and methodologies, I just think the mileage was way too low and more conservative than even I needed, coming back from some injuries. I want to see this plan through and thus I'm sticking with Hudson's plan but stepping it up to the next level offered. Interestingly enough, the runs I've already logged this week aren't that far off from those in this plan. I like the specificity in the runs and although I'll be joining in on what appears to be a cutback week, I'll knock the long run up some to prepare for San Francisco.

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

What kind of miles were you doing, and what are you contemplating moving it up to?

I think the fact that the hurty parts don't hurt so much is a good thing. So for that, the plan was definitely good fo you. And now easing into more mileage and backing off if the hurty things hurt again is a good idea.

Maria said...

I've consistently been in the upper 30s for awhile now. What threw me off more than anything else was that I would supplement miles from the level 1 plan and kinda throw myself off. I'll be jumping up to mid/high 40s this week and then up to the 50s-60s if I continue to feel strong

Sarah said...

How many weeks until your race? I know I could do the math myself but I'm lazy :)

I think moving into the 40s and staying there over the next couple weeks sounds like a good plan. If you are feeling good after a few weeks in the 40s, give low 50s a try but I wouldn't to jump up too quickly. In my opinion, 60 might be pushing it....that would be an almost 40% increase and given that your long runs will be increasing too, you don't want to have those hurty things hurt again!

Give it a try for 2 weeks and then re-evaluate. I don't think our training plans need to be set in stone 18 weeks out from the race. See how your body responds and go from there!

Maria said...

Sarah, I'm about 11.5 weeks out... and I agree I'll up to the 40s but settle there before moving much higher. I know I can handle the mileage in ideal conditions and I want nothing more than to be back in the 70s but I need to chill and be patient :-)

Sarah said...

I totally understand your desire for more mileage....just keep repeating "More mileage makes hurty things hurt!!" As long as you are smart about it, increase slowly, and be sure to back off if something doesn't feel right then you should be fine. I know you know all this, but I often need to be reminded of it....sometimes I can be really dumb when it comes to running :)

KP said...

You're gonna love level 2. It's challenging but not too much - you won't need to do doubles to hit the mileage.

I gotta get back on track myself!