Thursday, July 30, 2009

Gone but not forgotten



I first met Joe the weekend pictured above in Philadelphia, 2006.   We had a huge meet-up that year for the marathon and as anyone knows, Voo is not hard to pick out of a crowd.  I remember walking up to him at the expo, briefly saying hi and then giving him a big ole hug.  He wouldn't have had it any other way.   The guy was a spirit, a force, a runner to be reckoned with.  He had the largest, kindest heart and as you can see in the picture, the ability to hang with the Pfeiffer girls post-race  :-)   Joe left this world last Friday, unexpectedly, prematurely but ultimately [I have to imagine] happily.   His last words to all of us runner buddies was a quick recount of the 20 miler he ran after work on Thursday & how he got stung by a bee nearly right in the ass.   That's the Voodoo Joe we all know and love.   You will be missed, you will be remembered and you will always have a place in my heart.    I know you're enjoying the cushy trails wherever you are!!

3 comments:

Doctor Err said...

i had to hug him too when i met him (i remember briefly thinking maybe it wasn't appropriate...right before i threw my arms around his rain soaked self)
when mat met him, he expected him to be way bigger. ;)

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and I will keep you and his family in my prayers

cherl said...

I have been out of the loop for years now. So sad to hear about this. Thanks for posting.