Monday, February 23, 2009

Tinkering about

So last week was just about a total wash in terms of my training. I got hit HARD ...nix that, run the hell over by the funk bus and felt I really needed to pull back and assess what was going on. I've been lacking the drive I normally feel whilst building up my training as well as some boredom that I mentioned last week. Part of it has to do with my continued leg issues. I'm making progress, I feel I am on the right course but there's still pain on most runs. Nothing to stop me and certainly nothing alarming but it's there and it's really wearing on me. I miss those days when I suit up for a run after work and knock out 8-10 miles seemingly without effort. When I enjoy the sunset along the Hudson and don't feel as if I'm going to get blown outta my Asics. And thus certainly another part of this all is the lingering winter. We experience a couple days of spring like conditions and then get slapped in the face with stinging winds and crappy wintry mix. I want me some stable conditions and I want me some more daylight! Argh.

So what did I do last week? Uh not much. My pool is in a state of flux with various mechanical issues so no swimming. I did get to yoga which probably saved my sanity and really reinforced that I needed to pull back. Note to self: always make yoga a priority. Add to that a great session of strength training and my first group run with The Reservoir Dogs and the week wasn't a complete loss.

But still, here we are back on Monday and I'm not sure how to proceed. It kinda sucks. I want to trust my leg a bit more but I don't want to cause further time away from serious training. I want to run harder, faster, more but I want to feel the purpose I normally do.

And so I'll take it day by day for this week. Tonight I'll get a short but strong tempo run done with some strides ...something to get my confidence back up and the blood flowing. Will follow that up with spin class, which always helps my mood. I'm also revisiting the F.I.R.S.T.
training plans and may integrate those with the Pfitz plan I'm using at present. Something a little different, something that might make this a bit more interesting.

On a non-running tip, Jason and I will are taking his dad out tonight to cheer on Kansas against recently defeated Oklahoma - perhaps all my running needs is some Sherron Collins, beers and a big Rock Chalk victory!?!?!?

4 comments:

solarpowered said...

I like it! All of it -- the running with the group, the taking this week day by day, the tinkering with plans. I hear ya on the lingering greyness of winter factoring in. I think your run today will help rev some engines, too. Good stuff. Hope it all falls into place for you!

Theia said...

Daylight savings time is just a few weeks away. Hang in there! It'll get better.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Hang in there Maria. You will get it figured out. I really hope the leg thing resolves soon. As much as I hate to say it, and know YOU would hate doing it, do you think you need to give the leg a complete rest for some time? Even when you stopped running after the marathon, you were still active with other stuff. Maybe it needs total rest to fully heal?

Tom said...

I have had a lot of luck this spring with my hammys and glutes by doing more hill sprints and hill work. Started with short and hard. Just a thought.

Up by 13 with 12 to play. Your jayhawks look pretty good.