Thursday, February 26, 2009

Crow!

It's totally amazing to me what regular weekly attendance at Kula has done for my yoga practice. In fact I wouldn't have even said I had a practice prior to January of this year. Sure I'd attend a class here and there, sometimes at my gym (weak sauce), every once in awhile at the Bikram studio in my hood and sometimes in our building's gym where a yoga instructor from a local studio provides complimentary classes every Wednesday. I knew the poses by name and what I should be doing, I knew how to breathe through my nose only (contradictory to what happens while running), I knew all about lengthening the sides of my neck, breathing into my right lung, etc. but I didn't regularly do any of it. And with yoga, like many other things in life, you improve the more you practice. Yoga is a lifetime's worth of learning, honing, improving and deepening one's practice. And so last night when I got up into crow pose and held there for many more breaths than EVER before, I knew I actually had a practice and it sure did feel good!


maybe I can get Jason to snap a picture of me in crow - whatcha say J? :)

And another big bonus, yoga makes my running work a lot better too. The ongoing pain as my left leg continues to try and succeed from the rest of my body is oh so much more deal-able with yoga in my life.

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

That's some crazy looking sh*@. I would for sure end up falling on my head and hurting myself. Or worse, get permenantly stuck in one of those positions!

Jen said...

I've found that it's all about the teacher. If you find one you connect with, then stick with it! I'm glad you're enjoying it so much! It's such a peaceful way to spend time in your day.

KP said...

Jealous of this...that might be something I work on adding in my schedule this summer. Just ain't happening right now.

solarpowered said...

Cool!
I've been doing more yoga lately, too. It makes such a difference in how I feel...