Monday, February 22, 2010

Last week of P2

Phase 2 of Illinois training is a shorty in comparison to P1 but it packs a lasting punch. While overall mileage has backed down, quality ramps up in the form of intervals. I sure do love me some intervals! Unfortunately I really love them done on the track but I've only been able to log 1 of the 3 workouts thus far there; dang snow! Somehow logging time at the track makes me feel more legit as a runner, maybe it's the formality of the work vs. when I'm just out running anywhere and for any desired period of time/# of miles. Maybe it's just a preference or in my own head. Imagining Lagat and myself doing the same kind of work albeit at vastly differing paces. Whatever it is, I definitely feel more badass getting a great set of intervals done, painful or not. So here's to clear weather this week or even just a window of about 40 minutes to let me strut my stuff in the form of 1000 and 800 repeats.

Anyone else a big fan of intervals? Or are tempo runs more your thing? Cruise intervals? ....oooo those are mega-fun too!

7 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I have my first interval workout next week, so I'll let you know my thoghts then. I have never dine them as part of marathon training before. Or any training!

I am now a very big fan of the 6 mile tempo. I feel like it is really helping me.

So what is P3?

Maria said...

P3 is tempo time! :-)

Will be interested to hear what you think about the intervals, I like 'em but first time out they can be a little odd to get used to.

Mindi said...

I really like intervals too. I think long tempo runs are invaluable, but really hard, so I don't enjoy them quite as much. :)

Sarah said...

I LOVE intervals!! They are fast, over quickly, and leave you feeling confident.

Tempos are definitely my weak point...something about running that pace for a couple miles not in a race setting is really hard for me. Over the summer I use short races for my tempos.

Maria said...

I have the same feelings about tempo runs... it's crazy b/c I know I can run that pace but for some reason, like Sarah said, it can be challenging in a non-race scenario.

Joe said...

I just had my first real interval workout (on a track, not the TM) in awhile - didn't want to make it too hard because I got a race in two weeks, but it felt really nice. Plus, I always love the feeling of getting in so many miles in a relatively short time

Theia said...

I totally <3 intervals. Love the feeling of just nailing the pacing, being consistent, seeing improvement week after week.

Don't get me wrong. I'm making up curse words while I'm on the track! But afterward... aaahh yeah.