Sunday, August 23, 2009

Slowly clawing my way back

Rounded out my first official week of CIM training with a solid LR and a nice recovery today.  

Saturday - 16 miles running in 2:26:15 (9:08/mi).   This run was the first in more tactical long runs.  I often avoid CP for long runs b/c it can be crowded (esp if there's a race going on) and because I know the route too well (snoozefest at times) and because, in the past, I short-sidedly was not looking to make the LR more challenging than the miles themselves + whatever specialized pace(s) the training plan called for.  Of course I'd make exceptions and do hills (i.e. bridges) and the like, but mostly I didn't push the envelope as much as I could.   That's changed.  I started off Sat's run with the big loop + some in CP and then took advantage of Summer Streets by running down Park Ave (as it turned into Union Square East as it turned into Fourth Ave as it turned into Lafayette) over the Brooklyn Bridge and through Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens and back to the bridge again.  And although I started off way too fast for an easy LR (8:09, 8:12, 8:25) I eventually slowed it down and felt strong throughout.

Sunday - 6 miles running in 52:26 (8:44/mi).  Got this run done right after a light, short summer shower so it was a bit steamy.   Kept the pace consistent and felt almost as if I were gliding - no residual soreness from yesterday's LR.   Finished it off with 2 x (15 each/pushups, step ups, tricep dips, leg swings).

I'm proud to be nearing the 50 MPW mark again too - it's been a long time coming!  Finished this week with 47.25 miles and running 5 days [in the week].

2 comments:

Jen Jones said...

Yay for miles!!!! I'm glad your training is going well :)

You are going to LOVE CIM, I'm so excited for you!!!

KP said...

nice to see you getting back into a groove.