Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring is here, wait no it's not, hold on it's back

Along with our ever changing weather my body has been displaying somewhat bipolar episodes. I felt strong as an ox last week & through the weekend then came Monday and my left hip/butt/back were whack. It felt as though someone beat me with a lead pipe or something. Raising my knee to tie a shoe was painful and bending down while sitting wasn't much more comfortable. It's hard to figure out if there was something that triggered the pain or if it was a culmination of stuff. The only thing that might have acted as the trigger was lugging in my backpack on Monday's commute full of my workout stuff for that night and the giant brick of a work laptop I have. It was pretty dang heavy even with my freakish strength :-) At any rate it really worried me. I don't have back problems and I don't want to start having them. I did continue on to spin class that night and the only thing more painful than my hip/butt/back was the sucktacular sub. I'm a believer in exercise helping to work stuff out most times and thus why I attended class in the first place.

I don't know if that was what helped or simply the passage of time but Tuesday I felt better and Wednesday even more so. I used Tuesday as a complete rest day as well and attended my regular Wednesday night yoga @Kula. Not only did I have a most fulfilling class but I experienced zero pain and I rocked me some tripod headstands. This is another of the transitions that can be made from crow pose. You're basically set up to go into a headstand from crow, you just drop your head and raise your legs. Working through these poses prompted our talented instructor Jillian to declare she'd be setting up a special transitions workshop for us all. Wheeee!!!

So it looks like spring is back today after having snowed yesterday (WTF!?). I greeted the day with a steady paced 7 miler along the Hudson. 45*, sunshine and some old Green Day launched me into what I'm hoping is a productive and happy (smile!) day.

Also this week I've been working from our DUMBO office and thus a change of scenery, a different commute and signs of spring along the walk from the subway. Snapped this picture this morning... I LOVE this tree but have no idea what kind it is. Anyone know?

1 comment:

solarpowered said...

Oooh! Pretty tree!

Way to go with the morning runs recently, btw! Glad the early-week aches worked themselves out.