Monday, April 6, 2009

Reward for my Monkey Mind

In the most recent issue of Running Times there is an article on meditation, and runners incorporating it to help quiet their "monkey mind". You know, that constant stream of ideas, thoughts, to-do lists, strategy, training, etc etc etc that can consume you while running. Monkey mind is a Buddhist term meaning unsettled; restless; capricious; whimsical; fanciful; inconstant; confused; indecisive; uncontrollable.

Uh yeah, that's me. All of it.

Yoga helps calm me but daily meditation would probably do a better job especially in relation to those long miles involved in training & running a marathon. Where the focus is not on disassociating but rather creating a deeper connection to your inner self.

And when that doesn't work I enjoy something cold and crisp. This past Friday after hill repeats it was some Brooklyn Black Ops.



Such frothy goodness with lots of bourbon and wine hints.

1 comment:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I didn't know there was a term for that - but that is EXACTLY what my mind is like. All the time.