Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Renewal

As I mentioned in the miniest of mini race reports for STL, I needed that race to be over with. My running and mindset during training were inconsistent at best. I needed a clean break and a surge of inspiration.

I got both.

The day after STL was the 113th running of the Boston Marathon. I knew many people running and through tracking them, hearing their stories, seeing images from the day and watching the race recorded on my DVR, I was dealt the perfect opportunity to renew my own running.

Renew: To make new again; to restore to freshness, perfection, or vigor; to give new life to; to rejuvenate; to reestablish; to recreate; to rebuild ...

Um YES!

Tuesday produced both a phenomenal feeling swim in the morning and an invigorating run that evening. Wednesday was all about stretching and strengthening in yoga where we focused on back bends and half moon pose.


Conditions on Thursday evening were perfect for a swift run along the bridle path around 102nd and an extra dose of motivation, courtesy of Missy (who BQed again in Boston!). After a short break on Friday, Saturday morning poured on the heat, sun and fun! A nice run up to Riverbank State Park and back followed by a sweaty bike ride to Chinatown to watch some soccer.

Overall a good dose of ass-kicking and a good move towards something more consistent. I know one thing for sure, I don't want to feel as ill-prepared for a race as I was for STL. This weekend brings the Broad Street run down in Philadelphia and while I'm not exactly in PR running shape, I feel confident that I can pour on a decent performance.

5 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I don't know how you do those poses. I would fall on my head.

Glad you are renewed and ready for some new challenges!

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

glad to be of service. happy early birthday and go kick some butt at broad st this weekend! - missy

Christine said...

opps. i deleted my previous message in order to add happy birthday wishes so now you get them twice!

Sparky said...

Awesome!The line about "I decided I must try, so I tried" has been running in my head since boston too..


I lurve your terrarium. :)