Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm coming after you...

Count me among those who like to include future race planning in their recovery.   While downtime is needed, especially the mental break, I like to have a few races either planned out or floating around in my noggin' as next steps.   This week is another of free form running, just getting out there and getting some time on my feet while allowing my body to continue to recover from the marathon.   I've been a good girl and went back to Kula on Monday night and let me yell at you.... mommy!  My entire core is crazy sore, when meeting Tavia last night for our run I remarked that my flanks were crying out in pain. I feel like those first times I played Wii tennis and suffering from the dreaded Wii arm (read, flank).  Today is certainly better but wow, anyone who doesn't believe yoga --- even a beginner's class, can be a challenging workout needs to sit in my body for a bit.  And it's not like I'm way out of practice, was just a week or so since my last class.  But I digress... back to running.

The siblings and I are all in for the next race; Team Pfeiffer loves to get together as often as possible and our next one is looking to be the perfect storm of running insanity.   We're sitting at 6 siblings strong all registered for either the Surf City full or half marathon on 2/6/11.  I actually cannot remember the last time that 6 of us ran the same race.... we had good representation at Lewis & Clark in Sept but that was just part of the STL based gang and a bit more at the STL HM this past April but no CA sis, probably the strongest showing was last year at the San Francisco HM where we had 5 peeps running.  In fact, I don't think 6 of us have ever run together in the same event, someone always seems to be a cheerleader or otherwise occupied at race time.   Even more of a reason to let out a big ole WOOT!   So that's the next big race, I'll be training for the HM and looking to bring my PR down to a sub-1:40.  Earlier this year I ran a 1:40 in NYC while deep in marathon training thus my preparation for Surf City will be compromised of a similar mileage build up and lots of tempo work.  Prior to February I'll be planning to jump into a couple NYRR races and possibly hit up a Turkey Trot next week. 

1:30s... I'm coming after you, watch out! 

6 comments:

Jen Jones said...

Yay! 1:30's better be on the lookout!!

I LOVE setting goals/goal races, it's so much fun having something challenging to strive for!!!!

Doctor Err said...

how do you feel about broadstreet?? :D

Maria said...

Roo - I'm totally thinking Broad Street again this year, been a couple yrs for me. YOU TOO???!!!

Kelly said...

that's so awesome your family runs together!! I'm the lone runner in my fam. I love your goals and race plan - very motivating and it sounds like fun :) I want to get a good half PR next year too!

aaaand, completely agree about yoga soreness - definitely uses non-running muscles like whoa!

solarpowered said...

Mommy! My first good yoga class in ages tonight -- I'm gonna feel it tomorrow!

And I've been thinking about Broad Street, too...

Lisa said...

Sometimes all of us need to have breaks between our trainings. I have read on militarygradenutritionals.com/blog/ about the special dietary supplement which claimed to keep your body toned even if you are not training for a while. I’ve tried it and was pleasantly surprised when my muscles almost did not sore after the first post-break training. Moreover, I was able to run as much as I used to before the break, and quickly increase my distances within the following runs.